Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
the adviser logo
Lender

NAB announces home loan changes

by James Mitchell5 minute read

NAB has further tightened its policy for lending to non-residents, after announcing LVR changes last month.

A NAB spokesperson said the group regularly reviews its policies to ensure it continues to lend responsibly, as well as to respond to changing market conditions and regulatory requirements.

To continue reading the rest of this article, create a free account
Already have an account? Sign in

“We recently made changes to our policy for lending to foreign applicants, which came into effect on Saturday 18 June,” the bank said in a statement to The Adviser.

“Under these changes, applicants will need to provide evidence of existing Australian income in order to be eligible for home lending application purposes.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

In May, the major bank reduced the maximum LVR from 70 per cent to 60 per cent for foreign home loan applicants, and is “shading” foreign income sources from 20 per cent to 40 per cent.

NAB will also no longer accept foreign-sourced self-employed income, and has tightened income verification requirements.

ANZ, CBA and Westpac have all curbed lending to foreign buyers over the last few months.

Meanwhile, Ken Sayer, CEO of Sydney-based mortgage manager Mortgage House, told The Adviser last month that Bendigo and Adelaide Bank had contacted the group and its broker partners, saying it would no longer service loans to overseas borrowers.

The crackdown on foreign buyers has created headaches for developers who have traditionally relied on non-resident pre-sales to secure funding.

Bank of Sydney executive general manager of commercial banking, Fawaz Sankari, said the lender had received an “enormous amount” of inquiries about construction finance.

“There is a huge increase and reliance on foreign investment purchases on the pre-sales side. We have noticed that on the local front, a lot of our long-term solid developers are really struggling to get pre-sales locally,” Mr Sankari told the Vow Financial Commercial Conference on the Gold Coast earlier this month.

“There have been a couple of clients who we have had on 50 per cent pre-sales and they are yet to achieve those. Yes, we want to mitigate our risk, but we also want to help the client mitigate their own risk in terms of biting off more than they can chew,” he said.

“I think a lot of the banks and lenders out there are very concerned about what is going to happen in the next 12 to 18 months.”

Earlier this month, AMP Bank announced non-residents were an “unacceptable borrower type, unless a spouse/de facto is a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand and a borrower of the loan”.

[Related: AMP Bank announces major lending changes]

NAB announces home loan changes
nab  x
TheAdviser logo
nab  x

James Mitchell

James Mitchell

AUTHOR

James Mitchell has over eight years’ experience as a financial reporter and is the editor of Wealth and Wellness at Momentum Media.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

You need to be a member to post comments. Register for free today

MORE FROM THE ADVISER

Glen Lees

Connective announces record settlement figures

Mortgage aggregator Connective has revealed that its brokers settled a record $95.5 billion across its residential,...

READ MORE
charles grover outfund ta zgvq5o

New SME lender launches into broker channel

A new fintech lender, Outfund, is ramping up for growth through the broker channel after having completed a capital...

READ MORE
david bailey afg ta l8ozkr

AFG’s bottom line hit by Volt closure

The ASX-listed company, Australian Finance Group Ltd (ASX: AFG) has confirmed it is set to deliver “strong...

READ MORE
magazine
Read the latest issue of The Adviser magazine!
The Adviser is the number one magazine for Australia's finance and mortgage brokers. The publications delivers news, analysis, business intelligence, sales and marketing strategies, research and key target reports to an audience of professional mortgage and finance brokers
Read more