Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Rental growth stalls

Staff Reporter 4 minute read

Staff Reporter

The RBA’s November rate hike had a negative impact on consumer confidence in 2010, new research has found.

According to Australian property Monitor’s Rental Report, below-trend rental growth was recorded in the latter part of 2010, reflecting the general retraction of consumer confidence evident in property markets and the wider economy.

Although strong demand and competition remains for rental properties in most markets, landlords have been unable to convert this into significant rental increases.

Advertisement
Advertisement

National house rentals rose by just 1 per cent with 3 per cent total growth recorded for 2010. National unit rentals fell marginally by 0.2 per cent in December compared to September, and were 3.2 per cent higher than those recorded for December 2009.

The capital city markets of Sydney, Adelaide and Darwin recorded flat growth in house rentals in the December quarter, with Melbourne and Perth growing slightly by just over 1 per cent.

Brisbane, Canberra and Hobart however recorded stronger levels of quarterly house rental growth with Hobart bucking the national trend with a strong six-monthly rise of 6.7 per cent in house rentals.

While overall rental growth was not as strong as expected, APM’s senior economist Andrew Wilson said a reactivation of significant price growth by mid-year 2011 combined with solid rental growth should continue to produce stable yield outcomes for investors.

“However the prospect of continued subdued price growth in Melbourne and Brisbane may provide investors with opportunities for increased gross investment yields, particularly in the unit market,” he said.

PROMOTED CONTENT


Rental growth stalls
default
TheAdviser logo

If you’re feeling overworked and overwhelmed in this fast-paced mortgage market, it’s time to make some changes, and the Business Accelerator Program can help! Early bird tickets are on sale now. Work smarter, not harder, this year.

default

 

more from the adviser
Renee blethyn NextGen.Net appoints head of broker

NextGen.Net has appointed its inaugural national head of broker ...

BBS Summit 2021 ta Better Business Summit and Awards Sydney postponed

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 resurgence in Sydney, the NSW leg of ...

Andrew Moulds Darren Smith ta Lend adds FleetPartners to platform

Lend has integrated vehicle fleet leasing and fleet management pr...